TOP 30 ZERO WASTE TIPS
Posted on November 02 2018
Going zero waste is a journey, and a lot of times there is more than one option.
Every day we have a choice to make this world a little wasteful. What can you do today?
- Ask for no straw in your drink order when out.
- Don't leave your house without a full reusable water bottle.
- Ditch tissues for handkerchiefs.
- Pick up a lonely banana.
- Always say no thank you to free promotional items. They tend to be cheap and break easily.
- Get a library card to support your local sharing economy.
- Donate unused items in good condition to support the second-hand market.
- Think second-hand first when purchasing something.
- Try elderberry syrup if you feel a cold coming on instead of immediately reaching for a plastic pill bottle.
- Swap your plastic toothbrush for a bamboo toothbrush.
- Turn old sheets and towels into handkerchiefs, rags, napkins, and cloth produce bags.
- Build a zero waste kit and put in the trunk of your car or carry it with you when you'll be out so you'll always be prepared. It doesn't have to be large just a few items!
- Wash clothes when they are actually dirty, instead of after only one wear.
- Open a window to cool down your home or air it out.
- Try to avoid palm oil.
- Buy food without packaging or minimal packaging.
- Instead of buying something when you're having a bad day, do something. I.e. go on a walk, take a yoga class, meet up with a friend.
- Repurpose stale bread.
- Make dry shampoo to stretch between washes.
- Surround yourself with items that serve multiple purposes to streamline and cut excess junk.
- Commit to bringing your reusable bags to the store. If you don't have them, turn around and go get them! After forgetting them once, you won't do it again.
- Try canning to preserve food.
- Use bar soap instead of liquid soap, it tends to come with less packaging.
- Swap disposable pads and tampons for cloth pads or a menstrual cup.
- Change light bulbs to LEDs.
- Be mindful when using technology.
- Bring reusable produce bags for fruits and veggies.
- Put on a sweater and socks before turning up the heat.
- Turn the water off while brushing your teeth.
- Don't buy anything impulsively!